- Multiuser capability: Multiple users can access the same system resources like memory, hard disk, etc. But they have to use different terminals to operate.
- Multitasking: More then one function can be performed simultaneously by dividing the CPU time intelligently.
- Portability: Portability doesn’t mean it is smaller in file size or can be carried in pen drives or memory cards. It means that it support different types of hardware.
- Security: It provides security in three ways namely authenticating (by assigning password and login ID), authorization (by assigning permission to read, write and execute) and encryption (converts file into an unreadable format).
- Live CD/USB: Almost all Linux distros provide live CD/USB so that users can run/try it without installing it.
- Graphical User Interface (X Window system): Linux is command line based OS but it can be converted to GUI based by installing packages.
- Support’s customized keyboard: As it is used worldwide, hence supports different languages keyboards.
- Application support: It has its own software repository from where users can download and install many applications.
- File System: Provides hierarchical file system in which files and directories are arranged.
- Open Source: Linux code is freely available to all and is a community based development project.
Why Use Linux
Linux is completely different from other operating systems in many ways.
- It is an open source OS which gives a great advantage to the programmers as they can design their own custom operating systems.
- It gives you a lot of option of programs having some different features so you can choose according to your need.
- A global development community look at different ways to enhance its security, hence it is highly secured and robust so you don’t need an anti virus to scan it regularly. Companies like Google, Amazon and Facebook use linux in order to protect their servers as it is highly reliable and stable.
- Above all you don’t have to pay for software and server licensing to install Linux, its absolutely free and you can install it on as many computers as you want.
- Its completely trouble free operating system and don’t have an issue with viruses, malware and slowing down your computer.